Today my baby girl turns 10! It’s hard to believe it was 10 years ago that I was pushing, pushing, pushing… for a tiny 6 pound, 14 ounce bundle of joy. Now, here she is. 10 years old – the age you yearn for all through that first decade. It got me thinking about all the cool things you can do when you’re 10 – things you couldn’t do yesterday, when you were “just nine.” So, here’s my list. Feel free to add your own ideas.
10. Freedom! Mom and Dad tend to not baby you as much.
9. Money. You get paid for babysitting gigs, walking the neighbor’s dog or raking their lawn.
8. You’re not a “little kid” anymore.
7. You *might* be able to sit at the grown up table at Thanksgiving.
6. One step closer to bras, deodorant, shaving your legs, getting your period… (all the stuff us mom’s tell you isn’t worth the hype.)
5. Later bed time. You get to stay up after those “little kids” go to sleep.
4. You’re almost a tween.
3. Mom might, maybe, we’ll see, let you go to the movie with a friend and sit by yourselves. (Mom note: I will sit behind you the entire time, watching for perverts.)
2. You can help out. Many places allow children to begin volunteering at age 10.
1. Double Digits!!!